At Swift, we believe in honoring our veterans and first responders, and the commitment and sacrifices they've made. As part of that effort, we not only provide veterans CDL training with some of the most knowledgeable, caring instructors in the business, but we also offer scholarships – so you can start your career as a truck driver without any concern for costs.
Our Military (and first Responder) scholarship covers the costs of tuition and any applicable housing. However, it does not cover out-of-pocket expenses for the cost of any permits, associated testing costs or related personal expenses throughout your training.
Who Can Apply?
Our veteran scholarship is available1 to all:
- Veterans of the Armed Forces
- Active Reserves Members
- National Guard Members
- First Responders
- Correctional Officers
In addition, we offer the same scholarship for veteran dependents and their spouses, as well as the dependents and spouses of first responders.
In order to qualify for our veterans scholarship, military veterans need to provide us with a:
- Copy of DD214 (member #4 copy with character of service showing Honorable, Under Honorable Conditions, or General Under Honorable). To obtain a copy of the document, visit https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits.
- Letter from the veterans Administration (on their letterhead) confirming service and character of service
- National Guard Bureau (NGB) document with Character of Service for those discharged
- Leave and Earning Statement (LES) showing dates of service for those on active service
If you're applying for a scholarship as a veterans dependent or spouse, you will need to provide us with the Service Member's DD214, as well as one of the following:
- Certificate of Eligibility for Chapter 35 transferred benefits
- Marriage Certificate or copy of most recent tax return, if filing jointly
- Birth Certificate or Adoption/Legal Guardianship Documents
If you're a current or former first responder, or the dependent or spouse of one, we'll need the following information when you apply for a scholarship:
- Identification Card (any form of rirst-responder license, card, etc.)
Unlike other financial aid for veterans, their spouses and dependents, our scholarships never have to be paid back – as long as the recipient of the scholarship provides one (1) year (12 months) of continuous service as a full-time company driver with Swift Transportation Co. ("Swift"), Inc.
However, if there is a relationship change from full-time company driver to Owner Operator, casual, shop or office employee or termination of employment before the commitment period has ended, the entire tuition and housing amount will become due and payable according to Swift’s standard Enrollment Agreement/Tuition Finance Agreement and Student Housing Agreement.
Start your career and apply for our veterans scholarship today.
1Swift offers a full-ride scholarship to veterans and first responders for the Swift Academy. For more information, give us a call at 888-845-9115.
Watch our Driver, Lester, share his perception of our veteran programs.