The best truck driver jobs provide you a better life. And at Swift, we believe in supporting every driver, every mile, every day – so you can enjoy your job and your life.
Here are 6 reasons we think you'll love having a Class A CDL job:
- You'll get paid to see the country, and have ample time at home.
- You can work in a single state, a specific region or throughout the U.S., which makes it easy to find a route that provides you the life you want.
- You'll make a good living without sitting behind a desk.
- Truck driving jobs matter. Our economy depends on reliable drivers who can help keep store shelves and businesses stocked with supplies. Without them, businesses of every size could not survive.
- Experienced truck drivers can choose to drive throughout their careers, but they'll also have opportunities to move into managerial, educational, and other positions as their goals change.
- Trucking jobs offer stability and a strong career path. Because of the on-going shortage of drivers in the U.S., you will be in high demand – and will be for the foreseeable future.
As a truck driver, you can work for a local company, regional provider or a nationally recognized organization. Regardless, if you're looking for a CDL A job, make sure that the company values its drivers and gives them the support they need on the road and at home by:
- Making safety a priority – ensuring their rigs function properly and you get the training you need.
- Offering a work/life balance so you can work well and relax with those you love.
- Showing respect in all that they do. From communicating with their teams and investing in the best equipment, to paying a competitive wage and providing benefits, look for a CDL job with a company that cares about you.
- Allowing you to grow by providing on-going education.
- Promoting honesty, integrity and accountability. After all, a company is only as good as its people, and you want to surround yourself with the best.
Finally, look for CDL driver jobs at a company that offers career growth and advancement. At Swift we don't believe in standing still (literally or figuratively), which is why we offer education and opportunities that allow you to live your way. In fact, we offer dozens of Class A CDL jobs, including driving jobs specializing in:
- Specific types of freight, like dry vans, reefers, flatbeds, intermodal/ocean containers, and heavy haul.
- Specific driving styles, including:
- Over-the-Road (OTR): A robust freight network that allows for flexible home time (whether it be your home or any area of the country you'd like to visit).
- Regional: Out for about one week at a time and home weekly. Drivers work routes that may include runs in several states in a particular region.
- Local: Out for one to two days at a time and home daily. Drivers generally stay within a 200-mile radius of home.
- Dedicated: Home time, hiring and requirements vary based on the specific account. The driver runs the same lanes that are needed for the account (radius varies). The work (and mileage) is consistent and predictable.
In addition, we have solo, team, mentor and owner-operator opportunities¹ – which means that with all of the options available, we can work together to tailor a type of haul and type of driving that's right for you. For instance, you could drive a flatbed on a solo route, find yourself in charge of a refrigerated truck on a dedicated regional route with a team, or have a dry van on an over-the-road route as an owner-operator. The options are virtually endless.
However, if you'd rather make the transition from life on the road to a steady life at home with a non-driving job, we can help you do that by becoming a:
- Swift Driving Academy Instructor
- Driver Leader
- Extended Coverage Team (ECT) Member
- Terminal Leader
- Fleet Leader
Or, you can join another department at Swift. Because understanding life on the road is vital to what we do, you'll find former drivers working in every facet of the company. By providing opportunities for growth, we make it easy to stay with Swift throughout your career.
If you already have a CDL license, check out our Careers page and find out how you can join the Swift team. For details on earning your Class A CDL, call 888-871-3537 or apply for the Swift Academy and kickstart your career.
Swift Academy is a proud member of the Commercial Vehicle Training Association (CVTA) and select institutions are approved for VA benefits by the state approving agency.
¹ Excluding California